Using the Simple Past tense, fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verb to be. For example:
I ___ calm.
I was calm.
You ____ right.
You were right.
You may also need the following
Rewrite the following affirmative statements as questions, negative statements, negative questions without contractions, negative questions with contractions, and affirmative statements followed by negative tag questions. For example:
You were on time.
Were you on time?
You were not on time.
Were you not on time?
Weren't you on time?
You were on time, weren't you?
It was warm enough.
Was it warm enough?
It was not warm enough.
Was it not warm enough?
Wasn't it warm enough?
It was warm enough, wasn't it?
Paying attention to the correct spelling, fill in the blanks with the Simple Past of the regular verbs shown in brackets. For example:
It _______ raining. (to stop)
It stopped raining.
I _________ myself. (to disguise)
I disguised myself.
Referring to the table of English irregular verbs if necessary, fill in the blanks with the Simple Past tense of the irregular verbs shown in brackets. For example:
They _____ a song. (to write)
They wrote a song.
We _____ the floor. (to sweep)
We swept the floor.
Paying attention to the correct forms of the bare infinitives, change the following affirmative statements into questions. For example:
He lifted the suitcase.
Did he lift the suitcase?
I paid the rent.
Did I pay the rent?
Paying attention to the correct forms of the bare infinitives, change the following affirmative statements into negative statements. For example:
I scanned the newspaper.
I did not scan the newspaper.
They flew to Toronto.
They did not fly to Toronto.
Paying attention to the correct forms of the bare infinitives, change the following affirmative statements into negative questions. Give both the forms without contractions and the forms with contractions. For example:
You walked quickly.
Did you not walk quickly?
Didn't you walk quickly?
He burst the balloon.
Did he not burst the balloon?
Didn't he burst the balloon?
Rewrite the following sentences, changing the underlined verbs from the Simple Past to the form with used followed by the infinitive. For example:
They took the bus.
They used to take the bus.
She traveled every year.
She used to travel every year.
Answers to Exercise 1:
1. was 2. were 3. were 4. were 5. was 6. was 7. were 8. was 9. were 10. was
Answers to Exercise 2:
1. Was I late? I was not late. Was I not late? Wasn't I late? I was late, wasn't I?
2. Were they in a hurry? They were not in a hurry. Were they not in a hurry? Weren't they In a hurry? They were in a hurry, weren't they?
3. Was he an artist? He was not an artist. Was he not an artist? Wasn't he an artist? He was an artist, wasn't he?
4. Were we right? We were not right. Were we not right? Weren't we right? We were right, weren't we?
5. Was she there? She was not there. Was she not there? Wasn't she there? She was there, wasn't she?
Answers to Exercise 3:
1. flipped 2. watched 3. arranged 4. bragged 5. enjoyed 6. supplied 7. reassured 8. waited 9. shipped 10. worried
Answers to Exercise 4:
1. did 2. went 3. took 4. made 5. ran 6. got 7. drank 8. slept 9. forgot 10. left
Answers to Exercise 5:
1. Did she hurry to school? 2. Did they carry the parcels? 3. Did you close the door? 4. Did I plug in the lamp? 5. Did they plan the party? 6. Did we teach the class? 7. Did she tell a story? 8. Did they strike a bargain? 9. Did he meet his friends? 10. Did I shake hands?
Answers to Exercise 6:
1. We did not enjoy ourselves. 2. She did not pin on the brooch. 3. I did not fan myself. 4. They did not empty their pockets. 5. You did not reply at once. 6. He did not go to work. 7. We did not swim across the river. 8. They did not take the bus. 9. I did not shut the windows. 10. You did not run fast.
Answers to Exercise 7:
1. Did you not watch the game? Didn't you watch the game?
2. Did I not climb the ladder? Didn't I climb the ladder?
3. Did we not please the visitors? Didn't we please the visitors?
4. Did they not can the peaches? Didn't they can the peaches?
5. Did he not receive the letter? Didn't he receive the letter?
6. Did you not see the fireworks? Didn't you see the fireworks?
7. Did it not cost five dollars? Didn't it cost five dollars?
8. Did she not hit the ball? Didn't she hit the ball?
9. Did he not do his homework? Didn't he do his homework?
10. Did they not cut the ribbon? Didn't they cut the ribbon?
Answers to Exercise 8:
1. It used to snow heavily. 2. I used to come often. 3. We used to be neighbors. 4. He used to write many letters. 5. They used to walk to work. 6. He used to tease us. 7. She used to tell us stories. 8. You used to ride a bicycle.
100% of 'A' students Acknowledge the use of revision papers as a way of bettering their grades. You too can; your time is now!
Don't have Credit/Debit Card? Click here for more choices
MAURICE A NYAMOTI
Form 1 to Form 4 kcse past papers latest
Pre-Primary 1 to Std 8 Latest KCPE Past papers
KNEC PAPERS FOR COLLEGE
Contact us anytime
Trusted by over 500 schools and colleges
The list keeps growing 'day in, day out' ... List of Schools in Kenya